- Place one of the refrigerated pie crusts into a 9 in pan. Trim the edges of the pastry to fit the pan if necessary. Place back into the fridge.
- In a medium bowl combined sugar, cornstarch, salt and cherries. Mix well.
- Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice to the bowl and combine.
- Set aside the cherry filling for a few minutes and cut the butter into mini cubes.
- Grab the pie pan from the fridge and spread cherry filling in an even layer onto the pie crust and dot with butter on top.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grab the second refrigerated pie crust and roll it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Grab a pizza cutter and cut the dough into even strips, about 1/2 inch wide.
- Lay 5 of the strips across the top of the cherry filling in the pan, parallel to one another.
- Fold back every other strip and place a long strip in the center, perpendicular to the others.
- Unfold the folded strips, and fold back the other strips that were not folded back before.
- Place yet another long strip perpendicular to the other strips, next to the one in the center.
- Repeat steps 9-12 until entire pie is latticed and covered with pie crust strips.
- Trim any excess dough around the edges and crimp using your fingers.
- Place the pie in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking until crust is golden brown, roughly 30 more minutes. Place foil over the edges if they get too brown.
- Allow pie to cool for at least a few hours before serving.