Creamy Asparagus Soup & Irish White Grilled Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Directions1. Remove tips from asparagus and chop into 2-inch long segments.
2. In a soup pot, add asparagus, onion, thyme, black pepper, and chicken broth. (Pour in just enough liquid to cover the vegetables). Cover pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
3. Using a standing blender, puree soup (2-3 cups at a time) until smooth. Pour pureed soup into large bowl and set aside. Repeat process until soup pot is empty.
4. In the empty soup pot, whisk together olive oil and flour over medium heat. Stirring often, cook roux for 3-5 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Remove from heat and return pureed soup to pot.
5. Return to heat, stir in milk, and stir continuously until thickened. Do not bring to a boil! Portion into bowls and garnish with a sliced hard-boiled egg. Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich.
6. Preheat Panini press to medium-high heat. Arrange 2 slices of cheese onto 6 slices of bread, top with remaining bread slices to make 6 sandwiches. Grill in Panini press for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition FactsCalories: 460
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 41 g
Sodium: 780 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 30 g
Cholesterol: 210 mg